Sunday, January 29, 2023

Winter wear: Suede and Faux Suede

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my blog!

Suede and faux suede are great choices for fabrics to wear in the depths of winter,
 so I chose these textiles as the topic of today's post
 Do you know that faux suede is a synthetic micro fiber fabric
 that was invented as an alternative to suede in the 1970's?
Faux suede can be lighter and easier to work with for clothing than genuine suede,
and was made hugely popular by the designer Halston,
 who used it frequently in his creations throughout the 1970's
Faux suede comes in different weights, making it versatile and wearable during most seasons, 
 but you usually see it mostly used in the fall and winter. It has a nappy texture 
 and is a natural with heavier cold weather clothes
 It looks great with bulky sweater knits, denim, 
leather and of course, genuine suede
Faux suede have lots of uses, aside from clothing
and the textile has really boomed since it's discovery
and is now a favorite upholstery fabric, too. 

Anyway, for this post I am featuring both faux and genuine suede pieces from my closet 
First, a classic style faux suede blazer
 The deep turquoise color of this jacket is a bit unusual for the fabric,
as a lot of faux suede is dyed in natural earth tones 
I paired this bright, cheerful jacket with black and white for this wear,
with a high contrast black and white lace blouse underneath 
and straight leg, high waisted black denim jeans   


Can't we all use a pop of color in winter?


Carrying a black and white heart and dot print pleated fabric clutch bag
with a black belt and hairband to accessorize 


I chose minimal, sculptural silver tone jewelry to complement this outfit
A hinged sphere design bracelet and vintage stylized starburst or wreath shaped earrings 


More faux suede in a pair of black block heel tassel loafers



This net wintery outfit features both faux and genuine suede in one look!
The drapey open topper in a natural tan color is faux suede, detailed with a wide shawl collar
Worn with a vintage rusty red straight skirt with a front slit
This skirt rarely comes out of the closet
Although I like the skirt, it is very thick and heavy and I feel it is just too weighty for me 
  




Carrying a cream satchel bag 


The best part of the outfit is this vintage 1970's leather band bracelet,
with the "The Who" stamped into it
This style of bracelet was wildly popular in the 70's
not just stamped with the names of rock bands,
but with other sometimes painted motifs like flowers, as well 
I purchased this from a retro shop for a 70's themed party, some years ago
I wonder who originally bought this, and if it was band merchandise 
sold at a concert? Fun to speculate! 
Also wearing chunky silver tone textured hoop earrings
  

To finish the look,
supremely comfortable brown buckle and stud detail clogs 



The same ultra suede jacket worn back in 2019
I think I like this version better and I still have all the pieces
so I think I might recreate it


Hope everyone enjoys their week!

 

7 comments:

Claire said...

Great looks, love your polka dot bag and blue blazer :)

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

Interesting history about faux suede! I have a faux suede moto jacket. The red skirt needs to come out of the closet more often! Great styling for both outfits. Thanks for linking and have a good week.

Nancy 's Fashion Style said...

Oh gosh Di! That bracelet is so cool! Wow. I used to wear and love suede a lot years and years ago. Why don't I wear it now anymore? Love it!

Laura B said...

I love your suede and faux suede pieces, especially that beautiful blazer! I can see why you like it so much. Your suede skirt is such a beautiful color but I can see how it would be heavy and somewhat harder to wear. Hope you are having a good week!

Sally in St Paul said...

The deep turquoise blazer is gorgeous. I also really like your throwback outfit with the beige too.

stylesplash@live.co.uk said...

I love the blue blazer and the polka dot bag! Thanks for linking up!

Emma xxx
www.style-splash.com

Mica said...

Oh I really like these outfits! I don't have any suede in my wardrobe which is a shame - but like your vintage skirt I always feel it would be a bit too heavy and warm of a fabric for our heat here in Brisbane! :)

Thank you for joining the Weekday Wear Link up!